Monday 3 September 2012

Road Trip to Dowerin.....

I have heard about the Dowerin Field Days, and have seen the ads on the TV every year but I always thought it was just for Farmer's.....boy was I wrong!

It is a HUGE massive event with lots of different stalls. Yes you do have all the machinery there, there is also a sideshow alley, petting zoo, lifestyle pavillion and that is only what I had a chance to look at.

Last Tuesday Dad and I drove down to Perth (day started off well - no power so we couldn't even make a cup of coffee!). We stopped at one of the service stations along the way and had some coffee (won't be doing that again - didn't taste that nice). I noticed my back tyre was a bit low but dad reckoned it was only because the car was so full of stock, so we continued on our journey.

When we reached Perth we picked up our hire car and took mine to a secure parking place.
It started raining just as we were transferring all the stock from my car to the camper....and just when we finished the sun came out again :) Driving one of these things is a whole new experience I probably could have done without. But I did it!

We headed to Dowerin which is around 200km inland from Perth. We arrived in Dowerin around 4pm, unpacked the car and set up our stall. It was then time to park in the Caravan park (adjoining the grounds).

The camper has 2 double beds, one upper bunk and one lower.
top bunk.

 There was a great atmosphere in the camping grounds. Bonfires, laughter and happiness.

The next mroning was an early start to finialize the stall.
Table 1
It was great meeting so many new people, including some ladies from Geraldton, Mingenew and Dongara. I enjoyed helping the men choose gifts for their wives. One gentlemen bought a gift for his wife, then noticed that we were form Geraldton - he said "You're not the ones one Flores Road are you? I have spent hours outside in the car park there while my wife shops!"

Suprisingly we sold more here than we did last year at the Melbourne craft show! At 5pm on Thursday it was time to pack up and start our journey home. We made it to Perth by 8pm, then when we picked up the car saw that I had a flat tyre. Changing the tyre was easier than I thought it would be - but it did mean we could only drive 80km per hour. (do you have one of those space saver spares in your car too?). Stopped in Cataby for a 10 minute nap (its way to dangerous to drive tired!) and woke up 1.5 hours later! Finally reached home at 5am. Just in time for a shower, unpack the car at the shop and pick up the kids for school.

We then had a busy day at the shop with Amber unpacking all the new Christmas stock.  We have 3 new collections:


There are also lots of new wood flourishes, bling, wood items + lots more.
Which collection is your favourite?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband went to Dowering again this year and told me there was nothing to buy me - I told him your stall would be there! Think next year I will just come myself!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a full on trip! good to see that even the 'little' guys reach out to those in the bush/outback. Well Done!